Visas & Invitation Letters


Do I need a visa to travel to the United States?

Requirements for US visas vary from country to country and participants should follow the guidelines issued by the US Embassy in their countries. B-1 or B-2 visas are recommended.

For information, we strongly advise that you check the official US visa site at:

Use the "Visa Wizard" to quickly check whether or not you need a visa at:

Participants are responsible for obtaining visas and we strongly recommend that you start the visa process well in advance.

How can I get an official invitation letter?

An official invitation letter confirming your acceptance to participate in the conference can be requested from the Local Organizing Committee (LOC).

If you need an official invitation letter, send the information below to the LOC at
• your full name as it appears in your passport
• your address
• your nationality
• passport number
• the title of proposal and its OCS number
• the name of the section or working group in which you will be presenting or participating
• the email from the the head of your section or working group confirming that your paper was accepted for presentation
• are you a member of IAMCR? Yes/No

Please write VISA INVITATION LETTER in the subject line of your email.

We encourage you to check the US Dept. of State site ( and the specific guidelines from the US Embassy in the country where you are applying.

Note that IAMCR, the LOC, and the University of Oregon will not be financially responsible if you do not obtain a visa.

What about transit visas for countries I'll travel through?

Don't forget to check if you need a transit visa for any country through which you transit on your way to the United States, including Canada, the UK and the Schengen area. Usually holders of valid US visas who will not be leaving the airport do not require transit visas. If you are unsure if you need a transit visa, ask your airline. The links below may help.

UK transit visa info
Who must apply for a Schengen visa
Transit through Canada

I need an invitation to support a funding request or to get permission to attend IAMCR

If you need an invitation to support an application for funding or to obtain permission from your institution, the email you already received from the heads of your section or working group that invited you to present your paper at IAMCR 2018 will serve in most cases.