Visual Culture Working Group - CFP 2018
The Visual Culture Working Group invites submissions for sessions at IAMCR 2018 Conference, to be held from 20-24 June at the University of Eugene, Oregon. The theme of the conference is Reimagining Sustainability: Communication and Media Research in a Changing World.
- General Call for Proposals: http://oregon2018.iamcr.org/cfp
- All Section and Working Group Calls for Proposals: http://oregon2018.iamcr.org/s-wg-cfp
- Keydates and deadlines: http://oregon2018.iamcr.org/key-dates
The theme of the conference is Reimagining Sustainability: Communication and Media Research in a Changing World.
It has been a while that the theme of sustainability was adopted in communication studies, but the importance of this theme is now increasing as we face environmental threats and economic inequality in world economy more and more as ever before. Visual Culture Working group has been contributing to soliciting new discourse and new views in order to enhance equality, sustainability and human issues, particularly from the non-Western perspectives. Members of VCWG have been involved in creating arguments on dynamic changes in new media technology, visual art, cinema, in Asia, South America and Africa in addition to changes in European and North American visual media. We welcome theoretical and practical research agenda related to visual culture. We are particularly encouraging panel proposals in relation to this year’s main theme, sustainability in visual culture..
The prospective themes of Visual Culture Working Group sessions would be as follows though we would not exclude any other themes related to visual cultures.
- Cultural studies of visual media,
- History of visual media,
- Visual communication of new technology and social media,
- Visual art and aesthetics,
- Sociological and anthropological research on visual communication,
- Cinema studies,
- Theoretical and methodological issues in visual communication,
- Journalism and visual communication,
- Activism, political practices of visual media,
- International/ intercultural communication and visual culture.
Guidance of abstract submission
- Abstracts should be between 300-500 words.
- Names of the authors, professional titles, institutional affiliations, email address should be included.
- The title should be clearly marked
- Abstracts (and full papers) should be submitted through IAMCR's Open Conference System at http://iamcr-ocs.org, not to the Section chair.
The official languages at IAMRC are English, Spanish and French and hence VCWG will have sessions in three languages as needed. However, all the abstracts should be written in English for the purpose of having proper reviews. All the submission will be blindly reviewed by the review committee of VCWG.
Criteria for Evaluation
Submitted abstracts will generally be evaluated on the basis of:
- theoretical contribution
- quality of writing
- literature review
- relevance of the submission to the work of the Section or Working Group
- originality and/or significance
The deadline for submission of abstracts is 31 January 2018. Please note that this deadline will not be extended.
Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated to applicants no later than 15 March 2018.
For those whose abstracts are accepted, full conference papers are to be submitted by 28 May 2018.
It is expected that for the most part, only one (1) abstract will be submitted per person. However, under no circumstances should there be more than two (2) abstracts bearing the name of the same author either individually or as part of any group of authors. Please note also that the same abstract or another version with minor variations in title or content must not be submitted to more than one Section or Working Group. Such submissions will be deemed to be in breach of the conference guidelines and will be rejected by the OCS system, by the relevant Head or by the Conference Program Reviewer. Authors submitting them risk being removed entirely from the conference program.
For further information, please consult the conference website or contact the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) at email@example.com
Important dates and deadlines to keep in mind:
9 November 2017 – Abstract submission system (OCS) opens
31 January 2018 – Deadline for submissions
8 March 2018 – Registration opens
15 March 2018 – Notification of decisions of abstracts
20 March 2018 – Deadline to apply for travel grants and awards
3 April 2018 – Deadline to confirm your participation
7 May 2018 – Last day to register at discounted early-bird fee
28 May 2018 – Deadline for full paper submission
1 June 2018 – Final conference programme published on the website
20–24 June 2018 – IAMCR 2018 Conference