Applications are now being received for the 2018 IAMCR New Directions for Climate Communication Research Fellowship. Initiated by the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) and awarded in collaboration with the International Environmental Communication Association (IECA), the US$1,000 award seeks to encourage a wide range of researchers to think creatively about new directions for research. Media/communication researchers with interest in climate issues are encouraged to apply, from all fields of media/communication, and all career stages. Interdisciplinary collaborations are encouraged.
The deadline to apply is 20 March 2018.
About the Award
The New Directions for Climate Communication Research Fellowship is awarded annually as part of IAMCR's policy to green its activities. It received seed funding from a 2014 IAMCR Project Grant. IECA joined the project in 2015. The 2017 and 2018 awards are funded by the Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research, Griffith University, Australia.
Climate Change Communication Award Judging Panel
The members of the panel will be announced soon.
This fellowship will be awarded to the applicant (as sole or lead author) who presents an outstanding and innovative proposal for a research project in the area. The aim is to encourage a wide range of researchers to think creatively about new directions for research. Members of IAMCR and/or IECA with an interest in climate communication are encouraged to apply. Interdisciplinary collaborations are encouraged as are early career scholars.
- Applications must be received by 20 March 2018.
- Applicants must be IAMCR or IECA members in good standing (i.e. paid up by the submission deadline).
- Applications should include:
- A 200 word abstract/summary of proposal
- A brief overview of existing relevant research
- A research plan (including a statement on the proposal’s innovation)
- The rationale
- Proposed method(s) and approach(es)
- A preliminary budget (if possible with potential sources of funding)
- Information regarding the nominees’ ability to conduct the project (e.g. recommendation, experience in project organizing, statement of abilities, or the like)
- Applications are limited to a maximum of 2,500 words.
- Applications must present work that has not yet (at the time of the deadline) received funding from other sources or that has been published. The work can be a portion of a larger project.
- The fellowship recipient(s) is expected to present results at a future IAMCR conference (by submitting to any IAMCR section). Note in your abstract submission that you are an award recipient.
- Submissions should be made by email to ClimateAward2018@iamcr.org with "Climate Communication Research Award 2018" as the subject of your message. The submission is not complete until you have received a confirmation response by e-mail.
- The 2018 award consists of a cash prize (US$ 1000) and a certificate marking the achievement. The winner will also be eligible for free registration at IAMCR's 2018 conference.
- Any bank transfer fees and similar administrative costs will be borne by the recipient.
- An award will not necessarily be made and decisions will be final.
- If the award is made the recipient will be notified by 1 May 2018.
- Applications will be accepted in any of IAMCR’s official languages (English, French and Spanish).
Send submissions to: ClimateAward2018@iamcr.org with "Climate Communication Research Award 2018" as the subject of your message.